Sunday, July 26, 2009

2007 Tour de France


As the riders approach Paris to end the 2009 race, I decided to go back to my photos from the summer of 2007. I was so excited that the Tour de France was coming through Arles. I walked the short distance from the house on rue Pierre Euzeby down through Place Voltaire to Place Lamartine and found what I hoped would be a good place to watch as the riders circled the sparkling fountain. Unfortunately, there would be no Lance Armstrong because of his retirement. But I just couldn't pass up the chance to watch the riders zoom by. And that is exactly what they did. I am lucky that I got this photo on July 19 during the stage from Marseille to Montpellier. I did see the maillot jaune whiz by, just an arm's length away from where I was standing. A few days later, though, the holder of that yellow jersey, Michael Rasmussen, was disqualified.
I am not a rider nor am I very knowledgeable about the Tour. I mostly just watch the race to see all the beautiful views of the French countryside. I loved watching them climb Mont Ventoux yesterday in stage 20. Regrettably, I didn't climb to the top of that lovely mountain last year. I gazed at it in the distance many times, though, my last views of it covered with snow in December.
Now, back to the riders as they get nearer and nearer to the Champs-Élysées...
Go, Lance!!

Here's a nice treat for a Sunday morning. Enjoy it with a cup of café au lait as the sun shines in Durham, NC and Paris, France.

Banana Bread

3-4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 c. melted butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Mix melted butter and smashed bananas together with a wooden spoon. Mix in sugar, egg and vanilla. Sprinkle baking soda and salt over mixture and mix in. Add flour last and mix. Pour into buttered loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes.

Bon appétit!

No comments: