Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Almost as good as new-- finally!

I cannot believe that I have been back from France since March 14 and haven't written about my trip.  Truth is, I have been a sick little girl since we returned. I have Graves disease, an overactive, whacked out thyroid, and then I caught what I choose to call the French Flu.  I was down and out for about a week and a half.  And what's worse, I had no appetite.  That really means I was sick, believe me.

So, to start processing the trip and all of the wonderful things we saw and ate, I thought that I would begin with the Millefeuille Cake that my kiddies made with Chef Érick in Arles.  Mlle Pauline took this delicious photo (she is quite the artiste).  Chef Érick made this for me for my 50th birthday, so it holds a very special place in my heart (and tummy). 

Here is another example of Pauline's artistry.  We had a picnic at the Pont du Gard the day we arrived in Provence.  We were met there by some Frenchies (they are coming to visit us April 14!) and enjoyed spending time with them.  It was an amazing day-- blue skies, flowers blooming, warm weather-- sitting in the shadow of the magnificent Roman aqueduct drinking in the moment.  French being spoken all around me, watching my students interact with their penpals, hearing the plop! plop! plop! of rocks being thrown into the river... ah.  This is my young artiste's rendition of the Pont du Gard, drawn on a rock with a stick.  I am totally verte with jealousy because I want to be able to do this.  To even think of doing it. 
Pas mal, hein?

Millefeuille Cake

Here's the recipe, from an earlier post--
http://thesabbaticalchef.blogspot.com/search/label/millefeuille%20cake

Bon appétit!! À suivre...

No comments: