Sunday, December 16, 2012

Un peu de tout



It's been a busy week.  Exams and review sheets to prepare, extra help sessions and tutorials.  I have survived thanks to coffee and an occasional treat such as this half chocolate cupcake with peppermint icing.  Senora brought it to me.  I suspect it was from Hummingbird Bakery, but I do not know that for sure.
On Friday, we said au revoir to a French jeune homme who has been visiting our school for the past five weeks.  It has been a real pleasure to have him around.  I discovered that he gave French names to all the boys in the class.  Too funny.


Truth be told, he generated more excitement in class than I ever could.  C'est normal, je suppose.
I am now corresponding with his English teacher in Bordeaux.  A new Frenchie friend, peut-être.
I've been reading some F. Scott Fitzgerald, knitting Christmas gifts, listening to Michael Buble croon Christmas tunes, making lists and checking them twice (but doing very little actual shopping), and daydreaming about my upcoming January trip to France.
We put up our Christmas tree.  It was all ready for when Son #2 came home from college after his last final exam.

A TROSA tree again this year.  These guys are the best.  They put it in the stand for us and tied it up on the top of the car.  All with a smile.  They get their trees from Sparta, NC.   This snowman greets everyone who comes to the tree lot.


Here's my favorite ornament.


I love Santas.  This one seems a bit shy, though.


Here's another of my favorites.


I only tried out one new recipe this week.  And it's a keeper.  I have a hard time finding something easy, yet good, for breakfast.  Due to my messed up thyroid, I have to take Synthroid every morning and I am not supposed to eat for an hour.  By the time that hour has passed, I am usually quickly getting ready to dash out the door, hop into my car, and head to school.  So, breakfast isn't really on my mind at that point.  But I can stash a three or four of these in my bag and eat them on the way to school or when I get there and am getting the room (and myself) ready for the day.  I even shared one with an advisee boy and he actually liked it.  That's something.


Cleveland Clinic Oatmeal Cookies
makes 36

3 bananas, ripe
1/2 c. canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. walnuts, toasted and chopped
1/4 c. pecans, toasted and chopped
1/4 c. prunes, pitted, no sugar added, chopped
1 c. raisins
2 c. oatmeal, plain, old-fashioned

In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas.  Add canola oil, vanilla, pecans, walnuts, prunes, and raisins.  Mix well.  Add oatmeal and mix well.  Using a 1-ounce scoop, measure and drop on to parchment-lined cookie sheets.  Slightly push down with fingers to lightly flatten.  Bake at 350˚F for 20 minutes.  remove from oven.  Transfer to wire rack to cool.

Bon appétit to all!

No comments: