Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Avoidance and an empty nest


I have been avoiding both my blog and writing for the past few weeks.  I cannot explain it.  I love this blog.  I love to write.  The end of the school year is always very busy and I have more writing than I care to acknowledge-- writing exams, writing progress reports, writing what seems like thousands of emails...  I have been too worn out to write for fun, I guess.



Now the school year is over.  My 33rd year has come to a close.  Last Thursday was the official end.  And it ended with a bang.  I won the F. Robertson Hershey Award, given annually to one of the faculty members.



I was nominated by one of my colleagues.  The award is named for the head of school who took a chance on me.  He interviewed me, a 21 year old college junior/senior, and offered me a job teaching middle school French, after making me promise that I would go to summer school and actually graduate.  ($9500 a year seemed like a fortune back then.)  The award was presented to me by the retiring head of school, a man I admire and have enjoyed getting to know over the course of the past 14 years.  (I figured out it was me when joie de vivre popped up in the description... I am thrilled that that expression was used about moi.)
Our nest is empty this summer.  Son #1 has been on his own for a couple of years now.  Son #2 came to us in late April with a proposal to live at the coast with one of his buddies.  He will be interning there with one of our North Carolina senators in July so... "Of course, it only makes sense to live at the beach for the whole summer, Mom."



He is working in a sushi restaurant, his first experience as a host/server.  The deal was that he had to have a job and he managed to make that happen.  So, it's just the Ex-Ex and me.  And the cats.  Can't forget them.
For the first summer in quite some time, I am not working.  I just finished a two-day iPad meet-up, as our tech guru likes to call the summer workshop.  I am feeling more competent.  What am I going to do with myself this summer?  Well, first of all, I am taking the Ex-Ex to The Big Apple.  Yep, we are heading to New York City for four days.  I've been busy cashing in frequent flyer miles and searching for a hotel in mid-town.  I have two other summer ambitions... exercise and writing my book.  I've started my morning walks.  The writing is starting to flow again.  I think it is going to be a very good summer.



Avocado and Tomato Summer Salad
from Tina Charlene

2 avocados, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 c. grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half, if you wish
2 c. cucumbers, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 red onion, diced
4 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
Juice of one lime
1/4 c. olive oil
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Lettuce, if desired

Toss all ingredients in a bowl.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Serve on a bed of lettuce, if desired.

8 servings


Bon appétit et bonnes vacances to all teachers and kiddies!

Thanks to our wonderful 5th grade science teacher for lending me her nest long enough to photograph it!





No comments: