Monday, June 23, 2014

Lazy baker


It's Monday.  The morning after returning from a family (yes, both sons!) trip to Asheville.  A little mini-vacation planned around our nephew's wedding.  It was a wonderful time.  Lots of laughter, good food and drink in a beautiful setting.  The wedding was at the North Carolina Arboretum, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Even though they had a back up plan in case it decided to rain (the way it had the three evenings leading up to the wedding), the happy couple was optimistic and decided to have the ceremony outside.


Good call.  The weather was perfect.  A little overcast, but that's better for photos and for keeping your guests from sweating anyway.  Congratulations and welcome to the family, new Mrs. B!  (You have wonderful in-laws, by the way!)


I did cry.  Of course I did.  I was wearing waterproof mascara, though.  I know myself well.  But who wouldn't cry?  Happy tears.  Especially at this sight.  Such unbridled happiness.  And as a mom of two boys, I loved this moment.


So sweet.

There was talk of baking, cooking, this blog, eating, etc.  I reminded everyone that I am not a chef.  I just like to cook, eat, and talk and write about both.  Plain and simple.  When the Ex-Ex was telling about my latest "Baking Binge" (I made about 6 dozen cookies and a blueberry clafoutis in the space of 24 hours-- so I guess that qualifies as a binge...), he was reminded by his sons that there are worse things that he could be subjected to.  This morning, though, while rummaging around on Facebook, after reading a short piece written by David Sedaris about his Fitbit (he is so obsessive and so funny), I stumbled upon a new take on home made blueberry muffins.  Perfect for me on a day I have declared to be a lazy day. At least for the moment while I am still in my pyjamas at 8:55 am.  Long live summer vacation!

Thanks to Beth Moncel and her book Budget Bytes for the recipe, courtesy of The Huffington Post on-line.  (The word obsessive is used to describe her in the book blurb on Amazon.  Theme for the day?  Not for me, trust me.)

I chose the new mug from Mast General Store that Mama Mildred gave me on my last visit to see her.


In goes the flour and brown sugar.


Add butter and milk and stir it all up.  Blueberries pushed in and ready to go.


It does come out hot enough to steam up my iPhone camera.


Back away from the steam and no one will get hurt.


Not really pretty until you bite into it.


Blueberry Mug Muffin
serves 1

1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
Pinch cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into pieces
2 Tbsp. milk
1-2 Tbsp. frozen blueberries

In a microwave safe mug, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until well mixed.  Add butter to the mug and use fingers to rub or smoosh them together until no large pieces of butter remain and mixture looks like damp sand.  Stir milk into flour-butter mixture.  It should now look like thick muffin batter.  If it is too dry, add a splash more milk.  Sprinkle blueberries over the top and push them down into the batter with a spoon.  Microwave on high for 90 seconds.

Beth says she likes this with some maple syrup on top.  Or honey would be good.  She even said she has made it with some peanut butter pushed down into the middle of the batter- to get a kind of peanut butter and blueberry jam sandwich taste.  A little vanilla ice cream if you make this for dessert?  Some whipped cream?  Different fruit and a little flavoring?  Cherries and almond?  Blueberries and some lemon flavoring or zest?  Raspberries?  Peaches?

I ate it for breakfast.  (The Ex-Ex ate cookies...)  Not bad.  Clean up not bad either.


Yikes!  Time to strap on my Fitbit and meet IronWoman for yoga.  I am not toooo lazy...

Bon appétit to June newlyweds, summer vacation and lazy Monday mornings for some of us!

No comments: