Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Bits and pieces

shells
I used to roam the beach looking for whole, perfect shells and sand dollars. I spent more time looking down than looking up. Now I just pick up whatever I happen to see that strikes my fancy.  Bits and pieces. Odds and ends.  Kind of like last night’s dinner here at the house we are renting for the week.  Cheese and crackers, blackened sausage, hummus, carrots, peppers, cucumbers and broccoli with ranch dip and leftover Frogmore Stew. Really good at the end of a long day spent sitting in the sun and trying to hit 10,00 steps on the Fitbit by walking to the end of the island.
Cooper, the Wonder Dog, was relaxing and hoping for a bit or piece of something tasty to come his way. Cooper belongs to Son #2’s girlfriend.
cooper
There has been some great first-thing-in-the-morning play time with the Cutest Baby in the World for both Granddad and Gramma.
kennedy steve
kennedy
Some fireworks in the distance, at Ocean Isle, on July 3.  All the beauty, none of the noise.
fireworks
Fireworks are illegal on Sunset Beach due to fire hazard, but that didn’t stop some of our neighbors. The police cruised by multiple times trying to find the culprits. The Ex-Ex and Brother-in-law were questioned when they decided to go out and check out what was happening, but they didn’t come home in handcuffs in the back of a squad car so I guess they were believable.
The Ex-Ex captured a lovely shot during a moonlit walk towards the pier.  Sort of Starry Night Over The Rhône-ish with the reflections on the water, I think.
pier
Son #1 and his two beautiful girls had to go back home because he has a follow up job interview this morning.  Fingers crossed. They will return in a few hours.
At this very moment, the Ex-Ex is still sleeping, as are Son #2, Cooper and his owner. Best Sister-in-law-in-the-World is checking out what’s happening on her iPad. Brother-in-law has gone out for a long bike ride.  When he comes back, he will turn on the TV to check out Stage 4 of the Tour de France. Vittel to La Planche des Belles Filles.
route17
I have to admit that I don’t care who wins.  I watch for the scenery.
I am an early riser, even when on vacation. I have been washing clothes, turning on the dishwasher, pitting cherries and making muffins, and reading my beach week book, See Me by Nicholas Sparks. I am getting attached to Colin, one of the main characters, and I am afraid that something bad is going to happen to him. I will hope for the best.  It is set in Wilmington, a city in North Carolina only about 50 miles from where I sit right now.
Life comes in bits and pieces.  Not perfect, but sometimes perfect for me. My week at the beach is just that. Surrounded by the people I love, my family once again under one roof, no plans, nothing that has to be done, the smell of warm muffins filling the house. And a view of the Atlantic Ocean from where I sit writing this.  Life is good. Every bit and piece of it right now.
muffins batter
Cherry Vanilla Muffins
makes 12
1-3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 c. oil or melted butter
3/4 c. milk (this time I used a mixture of vanilla Greek yogurt and milk)
1-1/2 c. pitted, chopped cherries
Turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top, if desired, for a nice crunch
Prepare the muffin tin by lining with paper cups or spraying with non-stick spray. Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the middle.
Add the beaten egg, milk (and yogurt, if using), oil (or melted butter). Stir just until combined. Fold in cherries. Sprinkle sugar on top, if using.
Spoon the batter evenly into the 12 muffin cups. Bake for about 15 minutes or until muffins test done.
muffin
Sister-in-law said spreading butter on top of a warm muffin was pretty tasty.
Bon appétit and have a lovely day.  If you can’t be with your favorite people, let them know you are thinking about them. The beach is calling and I must answer.

No comments: