Monday, December 20, 2010

Today's horoscope

I have a widget on my dashboard (just using up my MacBook lingo here!) for my daily horoscope.  I read it most days for fun.  Well, sometimes it is just plain old eerie.  Like today, for example.  I've been told "using your hands could be a real stress reliever for you..."  And no, checking emails (and blogging, too, I guess) doesn't count.  So, finding a cool new blog, Girls With Guts, doesn't count.  Nor does catching up on Paris Christmas photos with Eye Prefer Paris.  It didn't say anything about eating Christmas cookies that high school-age son brought home last night from his girlfriend's house...  I've only had one so far.  With my café crème.  That's just coffee with half and half, but I like it better in French.  Sounds more glamorous as I sit here in my pajamas. 
Anyway, back to my latest project...
No, it is not making cat sweaters or berets.  I just love that photo (taken from a calender), though.  A couple of days ago I decided to take up knitting again.  I saw a cute pink knitted hat in Fossil at the mall when college-age son and I were shopping.
(We saw the big man himself, too, from the second floor of the mall.  My children NEVER wanted to sit on his lap.)
My teaching buddy, Señor, was also wearing one last week to keep his head warm in the very chilly weather we were having.  So, I decided to hit the craft store for a new set of needles and some yarn.  I turned out one hat, but it is way too small.  I'll find someone with a child I can give it to, I hope.  I used to knit back when college-age son was a baby.  I even made a couple of sweaters for him.  So, my hands will be kept busy working on a larger version (and out of the cookie jar, maybe...).
I have to be careful to keep the project well-hidden from our two cats, though, while not at work.  I've given them each some yarn, but somehow that's not the same.

These are the cookies we always leave for Santa.  Along with a glass of eggnog, of course.

Rolled Sugar Cookies
(from Springfield Cookery, Springfield Friends Meeting, High Point, NC;  my paternal grandfather's family is Quaker and this is their home church; the cookbook was a wedding gift; the first meeting at Springfield was held in1773)

Makes approximately 2-1/2 dozen

1/2 cup (one stick) butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
2 beaten eggs
1 tablespoon milk
2-1/2 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream the butter until soft; add vanilla.  Gradually add the sugar and cream until light and fluffy.  Sift dry ingredients together.  Combine the eggs and milk and stir into creamed mixture.  Add half the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Add the remaining and mix well.  Chill dough at least one hour.  Roll a little more than 1/8-inch thick on well floured surface.  Cut with floured 3/4-inch round cookie cutter.  Sprinkle with additional sugar.  Place on baking sheet and bake in hot oven (400˚F) until only lightly browned (6-8 minutes).  Remove from pan while warm.  Cook on rack.

Recipe contributed by Marilyn Hipps (Mrs. Richard)

Bon appétit, Cookie Monsters!

No comments: