Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Temptation

Temptation can come in many forms, mes amis.  Having been raised a good Southern Baptist, I consider myself something of an expert on the subject.  With just a few months until summer vacation and my July trip to France, I wake up each morning (now that I am back from the spring break trip) vowing to exercise my best self-control and willpower in order to take off some pounds (although I'd rather think of it in kilos since 1 pound = 2.2 kilos-- it sounds easier, doesn't it?).  I could never stop eating or starve myself in order to do this, but I promise myself to be more sensible, eat fewer carbs, and watch the sweets.  Arizona Tammy, who is going to France with me this summer, even wants a friendly competition (culminating in the winner buying the macarons- she is a smart one, isn't she?).
I was doing really well today.  Lime-flavored Greek yogurt for breakfast, some lowfat string cheese for morning snack, a hard-boiled egg and slices of roasted chicken for lunch.  And then along came Arles Lucy.  She limped up to my room in order to present me with this gorgeous pain au chocolat.  (She messed up her leg in Paris and really needs to get it seen by a doctor.  Are you reading this, Lucy?)  This lovely pâtisserie is the real deal, made at La Farm, an authentic French bakery in nearby Cary, NC.  Lionel Vatinet is a real Frenchie and Maître Boulanger, a Master Baker.  He opened La Farm in 1999.  I've sampled his bread before and it is truly délicieux.  Arles Lucy and I tried to sign up for his April French bread-making class, but hélas, it is already full, with two others on the waiting list ahead of us.  Maybe in May.
Anyway, I digress.  Just one bite of the pain au chocolat, I told myself.
Yeah, right.
And then, temptress that she is, Arles Lucy came to visit me again, this time bringing these little pink delights.
Haribo Tagada Pink candy.  I have never in my life turned down anything pink and this cute.  And refusing her offer would have been just plain rude.  While in Provence with the students, we visited the Haribo Candy Museum in Uzès.  Evidently, some of the candy made it home in her suitcase.  Merci, Lucy!  Tomorrow's another day, right?

Bon appétit, temptation!

1 comment:

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I haven't had much time to comment but I have been reading your past few posts about your trip. It all sounds wonderful...the sights and of course the food. If I ever get over to the Cary area I will have to visit La Farm. Thanks for mentioning it. I like knowing it's there!