Sunday, July 29, 2012

Birthday week at the beach

This is what the Atlantic Ocean offered up to me for my birthday this year.  It was our last full day at Sunset and I had just about given up hope.  I spend a lot of my time at the beach wandering up and down searching for sand dollars and shells.  There are very few shells, though, and mostly broken sand dollars.  But the Ex-Ex looked down and spotted the small one and, just a few minutes later, the large one washed up right at my feet.  Bon anniversaire!
It was a lovely day.  I spent the whole day on the beach (and have the sunburn to prove it!), walking, reading, and watching my "boys" play.
The Ex-Ex bought himself a new hat to protect his ears from the sun.  (He grew up in Nebraska, the son and grandson of cattle ranchers, so he is not a Drugstore Cowboy.)
Sons 1 and 2 were there, livening up the action on our little stretch of beach at the 35th street access.
I no longer participate in their games.  That ended when they were around 8 years old and their level of athletic prowess far outstripped mine.  (And they are also unashamedly competitive.)
I would have found it difficult to play this year anyway because I attempted to slice off the end of my left index finger.
Note to self:  Do not attempt to open a package of tacos with a knife.  Use kitchen scissors.
It hurt like heck.  We were at the BFF's rented house for dinner (we just happened to rent the same week they did-- imagine that).  She and her nephew tended to my injury while I tried not to look at the blood running down my finger.  Her Son #1 is quite a fisherman and cook now that he is all grown up.  He caught some flounder and made fish tacos (with the help of his main squeeze).  He also smoked some ribs.  The BFF generously opened a bottle of Tavel rosé (I am not sure we shared it with anyone, though, to be perfectly honest) in honor of the week.

Merci, Betty Boop!!
It was a relaxing week, all in all.  We made friends with Gabby, the bartender par excellence at Crabby Oddwaters.  I made Shrimp and Grits, with the help of my sous-chef, Son #2, our last night there.  I sipped Rosé Pamplemousse as my apéritif  most evenings. (Just dry rosé and grapefruit juice-- recipe from Mme P- we sipped them at her house while in France.)
I read some good books.

  • Paris Revealed: The Secret Life of a City by Stephen Clarke (humourously written info about Paris by a Brit who lives there-- wish I had read it before the July BFF trip!)
  • Tender at the Bone:  Growing Up at the Table by Ruth Reichl (beautifully written memoir about loving food and the pain of growing up by the best food writer I can think of- great recipes included- I can't wait to attempt a few of them)
  • Mission to Paris by Alan Furst (an action-packed novel set in Paris on the eve of WWII)
  • The Skinny Rules:  The Simple Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting Thin by Bob Harper (sensible guide to eating by a guy who knows his stuff-- he had me at oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast)
  • Van Gogh, The Life by Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith (still working on this one- a new theory about Vincent's death- very well-written)
I came home to find a package in my mailbox from my Sister-in-law (or Belle-Soeur, in French).  I've known her for 30 years but had no idea she is so creative (or funny).  While in Paris, in our little rented apartment in the 3e arrondissement, the lights went out one night about 11:30 pm, and she came to the rescue with her penlight.  She also had a spoon in her purse that came in handy for eating a luscious boule au chocolat one day (read this post for the full story).  So, she sent me my own Survival Kit.
Part 1-

Part 2


And the explanation.

(Here's the story of the movie escapade.)
It was a lovely week of sunsets

and sunrises.

Bon appétit à toutes et à tous!  Et bon anniversaire to all Leos out there!

2 comments:

MPK said...

Can't believe you failed to mention the granola bar and bottle of water you receieved first thing on the special day to commemorate your birth ;-)

The Sabbatical Chef said...

Ok-- the BFF caught me. Yes, it's true. She bought me a granola bar and a bottle of not-just-any-water but Perrier with lemon. Then we embarked on our early morning walk around the beach!
Bisous!