It was a lovely day. I spent the whole day on the beach (and have the sunburn to prove it!), walking, reading, and watching my "boys" play.
The Ex-Ex bought himself a new hat to protect his ears from the sun. (He grew up in Nebraska, the son and grandson of cattle ranchers, so he is not a Drugstore Cowboy.)
I would have found it difficult to play this year anyway because I attempted to slice off the end of my left index finger.
It hurt like heck. We were at the BFF's rented house for dinner (we just happened to rent the same week they did-- imagine that). She and her nephew tended to my injury while I tried not to look at the blood running down my finger. Her Son #1 is quite a fisherman and cook now that he is all grown up. He caught some flounder and made fish tacos (with the help of his main squeeze). He also smoked some ribs. The BFF generously opened a bottle of Tavel rosé (I am not sure we shared it with anyone, though, to be perfectly honest) in honor of the week.
Merci, Betty Boop!!
It was a relaxing week, all in all. We made friends with Gabby, the bartender par excellence at Crabby Oddwaters. I made Shrimp and Grits, with the help of my sous-chef, Son #2, our last night there. I sipped Rosé Pamplemousse as my apéritif most evenings. (Just dry rosé and grapefruit juice-- recipe from Mme P- we sipped them at her house while in France.)
- Paris Revealed: The Secret Life of a City by Stephen Clarke (humourously written info about Paris by a Brit who lives there-- wish I had read it before the July BFF trip!)
- Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table by Ruth Reichl (beautifully written memoir about loving food and the pain of growing up by the best food writer I can think of- great recipes included- I can't wait to attempt a few of them)
- Mission to Paris by Alan Furst (an action-packed novel set in Paris on the eve of WWII)
- The Skinny Rules: The Simple Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting Thin by Bob Harper (sensible guide to eating by a guy who knows his stuff-- he had me at oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast)
- Van Gogh, The Life by Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith (still working on this one- a new theory about Vincent's death- very well-written)
And the explanation.
(Here's the story of the movie escapade.)
It was a lovely week of sunsets
Bon appétit à toutes et à tous! Et bon anniversaire to all Leos out there!