Saturday, August 3, 2013

Blog stats



I am goofing off yet again.  I did clean the bathroom yesterday and I ran the dishwasher.  I folded a load of laundry and worked in my classroom for a couple of hours today.



I had really gone over to school to pick figs, but that didn't work out. They aren't ripe yet.  So, disappointed, hot, and sweaty, I went back home and wrote about figs while the Ex-Ex watches golf.  I can be really lazy when I want to be.  A pro, actually.
Anyway, back to blog statistics.  I can check them.  Somedays, I check them 10 times, somedays I don't check at all.  The Sabbatical Chef had a big day yesterday with 198 readers.  That might not be big to some, but it's huge for me.  I can even check where the readers live, as noted in the top photo.   The Frenchies have fallen behind.  They are usually second to the U.S.  But where is Latvia?  Google to the rescue yet again.  I was guessing somewhere near Russia.  I love geography, really I do.  But I have never met a Latvian.  At least, I don't think so.  I really want to now.



The capital and largest city is Riga.  The population of Latvia is approximately 2 million.  It is 24,938 square miles large.   North Carolina's population is about 9.7 million and its area is 53,819 square miles. Funny to think that my state is larger than a country.



 Latvia was founded in 1918, became a part of the Soviet Union in 1940, was occupied by Nazi Germany in 1941, and once again came under Soviet rule in 1944.  It declared its independence again in 1991.  Latvia became a member of the European Union in 2004.
I was also curious about Latvian food.  I found what was called "peasant" or "serf" food-- good, stick-to-your-ribs fare which I am intimately acquainted with having grown up in the mountains of North Carolina with a granny who lived on a farm.
Recipes can be found at http://www.latvianstuff.com/Cuisine.html.  Bacon buns and pâté caught my eye...

Bon appétit, my Latvian readers!

No comments: