Sunday, August 11, 2013

Dear Laura Florand


Chère Laura,

Merci beaucoup, yes, thank you very much... because of you I spent more than a couple of hours yesterday and last night with my nose in my Kindle.  I just read your latest, The Chocolate Touch.

photo courtesy of www.lauraflorand.com

Set in Paris.  Chocolate.  Steamy.  Bad boy chocolatier.  My favorite of the three chocolate makers you have made me drool over so far.  I learned a few new ways to string together gros mots in French.  I doubt that I will ever use them, but hey, you never know when the ability to cuss like a French sailor might come in very handy. 
However, if that is supposed to be Dominique Richard on the cover of the book, though, definitely not. Bigger.  Broader.  Longer hair needed.  I just spent quite a bit of time looking at photos of Frenchmen (it's research-- just like you and all those chocolates and caramels you must eat in order to be able to really make us taste them as we read).  I was trying to figure out who should be photographed as monsieur. After googling "handsome Frenchmen," I found a website with someone's top 10.  Olivier Giroud is a possibility.  



Footballeur, big guy, very physical style of playing.
Jean Dujardin is maybe too pretty-handsome, if you know what I mean... but he is wearing a leather jacket in his photo on the website. He is 6'0 according to his website.  That's a plus.  He is Parisian.  He did use the P-word when accepting the Oscar so we know he can curse.




A younger Jean Reno?  I looked for photos of him when he was younger but couldn't find any.  He fits the leather jacket image for me.  I love the glasses.  I bet he can recite poetry.



I know, I know, Dominique is only 28 years old.  I give up.  Just suggestions.  I have an easier time drooling over older men than younger ones.  Call me crazy.  Which brings me to my next suggestion... how about a 50-something bad boy chocolatier-pâtissier in the future?  Just a thought from une femme d'un certain âge
Oh!  I found my copy of Paroles by Jacques Prévert, given to me by my friend Mme M.  He has been my favorite poet since college when I was introduced to his work.  I had to memorize Paris At Night for one of my classes.

Paris At Night  

Trois allumettes une à une allumées dans la nuit
La première pour voir ton visage tout entier
La seconde pour voir tes yeux
La dernière pour voir ta bouche
Et l'obscurité tout entière pour me rappeler tout cela
En te serrant dans mes bras.

Paris At Night**

Three matches one by one lit in the night
The first to see your whole face
The second to see your eyes
The last to see your mouth
And then complete darkness so that I can remember all that
As I hold you in my arms.

** My translation... I apologize to M. Prévert and to readers if I made mistakes.

This isn't one of the poems that Dominique and Jaime find on the placemats in the café.  Cet Amour and Je Suis Comme Je Suis are the ones.  
I will now go back and read all the poems.  And sigh a lot.  And savor chocolates from Miel Bon Bons. Her move to Durham should be about complete by now.  Thank you for allowing us to sample her work at your reading last fall at The Regulator.  The contest to figure out the flavors was fun (but not as fun as tasting).  

Now you see them



Now you don't.  (I did eat the macaron, though, trust me!)  I didn't win the contest, but who cares? 


My advisees gave me a Miel Bon Bons thank you gift certificate at the end of the school year and I look forward to spending it!  Want to meet me there?  I'll buy you any chocolate your little heart desires.

Bisous, mon amie--
The Sabbatical Chef 

PS- Can't wait for the next one in December!


No comments: