Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Baby goats!

One of my now former students (he moves on to high school in the fall), invited me to his farm on Sunday to visit the goats he and his family raise.  He knows how I love them and their cheese!  His family doesn't raise them for the milk, though.  They raise them for meat.  Goat Boy has also won prizes for his prowess in training his goats for shows.  He most recently competed at the 65th Annual Central Piedmont Junior Livestock Show and Sale in Orange County.  He took his Boer goat named Bob and placed second individually in the Skill-a-Thon and first place in the Junior Showmanship Meat Goat class.  Goat Boy is a third-generation member of the 4H.
One of their does recently had triplets.  The mama then developed health problems and died so now the babies have to be bottle fed.  I learned that kids eat whenever they catch the mom standing still, but only a little bit of milk at a time.
GB and his mom have their hands full keeping the little guys fed and relatively clean!  The mama goat usually takes care of that chore, too.
I had a very hard time getting all three of them in the same place at the same time!
Aren't they adorable?
This one is a little bit older.  I can't remember his name.  I don't think it is Bob because Bob has little horns already.   But maybe you just can't see them in this photo.
I was also treated to lunch.  Goat Boy's parents have a Mexican restaurant here in Durham, Tienda Mi Pueblo.  I've had their burritos before and, oh my gosh, are they good!  This time I was treated to tostados.  These are made with a deep-fried tortilla as the base.  Then all the goodies are added.  My first one was with chicken and the second was with pork.  I had to try them both, of course!  The ingredients were layered-- the tortilla, refried beans, the chicken or pork mixture, lettuce, pico de gallo, and two kinds of cheese, a crème fraîche-type cheese and then a sprinkled one.  I need to remedy the fact that I know very little about Mexican cuisine (except that I love to eat it...).  You pick it up and eat it with your hands.  My favorite way of eating.  A little messy but all the better, in my humble opinion.
I was served horchata, a cinnamon-rice milk that was heavenly.  Very refreshing.
It was such a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Here's a recipe for a cheese spread from the Home Fries and Wine Authorities cooking class held at the Durham Farmers' Market on May 15.

Cheese Spread
(serves 4 adults or 6 kids)

4 oz. cream cheese
4 oz. fresh goat cheese
1/2 fresh lemon
1-2 oz. milk or heavy cream
1 Tbsp. finely chopped herbs such as rosemary, oregano, tarragon, thyme
Pinch Kosher salt
Pinch black pepper
1 scallion, finely chopped
20 large croutons
Olive oil

Blend cheeses, lemon juice and herbs with salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth.  Add a touch of milk or heavy cream to help get the blade spinning.  Remove to a serving bowl and garnish with scallions and serve with toasted bread croutons brushed with olive oil.

Bon appétit, Alejandro Goat Boy et les chèvres!

1 comment:

14cyang (AKA ncacswimmer or "Cath") said...

Awwww! How adorable! "Goat Boy" is so lucky to raise those adorable kids. Also, that tostado looks really good!