Monday, July 5, 2010

Gifts from Europe!

High school-age son's girlfriend just got back from three weeks in Holland and Italy.  I am truly trying not to be totally green with envy.  Since France isn't in the cards for me this summer, it is not easy.  But she came back bearing gifts!  Edible ones at that.  The best kind, n'est-ce pas?  I will make dinner soon and invite her over.  Pasta and pesto... miam miam.
I probably will not share this chocolate, however.
Can't wait to try this... what if I dip the chocolate in it??  Hmmm...  Bonne idée!
And look at this beautiful bar of soap all wrapped up.  It looks good enough to eat, doesn't it?  Nesti Dante Florence Italy... brings back sweet memories of my stay in Florence with Lucy #1 and the BFF in September 2008.
And speaking of Italy, last week I had lunch with the BFF at Toast, a paninoteca in downtown Durham.  We tried two of their crostini--
Herb pesto, mozzarella, roasted tomato-
And warm goat cheese, local honey, cracked black pepper-

After that inspiration, I tried my hand at creating some of the little treats, too.
This one has pesto goat cheese spread from Elodie Farms with sharp cheddar cheese, roasted red pepper, basil and sea salt.
I had a lot of fun and a very nice lunch sampling them.  Pas mal! 
More about Toast and other Durham restaurants in my next Herald-Sun article.  Stay tuned.

Buon appetito, l'Italie!

No comments: