Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Show your pink

I have a really difficult time passing up any item of clothing that is pink.  So... today I added a new pink scarf to my collection.  I strolled by a display of pink at Belk's and couldn't resist.  October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and Belk is donating a portion of the sales for certain items to breast cancer research.  I can't wait to wear it tomorrow!  It is hard to have a bad day when you are wearing pink, in my opinion.  Even when the sales lady asks if you qualify for the senior citizen discount.  True.  She was at least my age so I couldn't hold her age against her.  When I said "No, ma'am, not yet,"  she just shrugged and said that these days you just can't tell.
Now for some more pink--
Estée Lauder is also getting into the mood with a portion of the sales of their special pink lipsticks in a pretty pink case going towards research.  (EL's new perfume, Sensuous, smells really delicious, too.)
Wine Authorities donates a portion of the sale of each bottle of rosé to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
Here is my personal favorite.

Drink pink, wear pink, think pink!  And donate to help find a cure.
Random pink pictures ...
Pink hollyhocks at Annie's lavender farm-
Pink flamingos on display at A Southern Season--

Pretty, but I prefer the real pink thing in the Camargue...
A pink zinnia from the GRO Garden at school--

And a street performer in Paris in a pink shirt (thank you, Bassil family)--

Mildred the Mixer and I (I am wearing a pink t-shirt) spent the evening making cookies for a dear friend's funeral tomorrow. It felt good to pull her out of the cupboard and crank her up.  Butter, sugar, vanilla, chocolate chips... ahhhh.  I talked to Mama Mildred, too, while making them.  Even better.  I decided on chocolate chip at the suggestion of high-school-age-son.  He says they are his favorite.  I made two batches, one with just chocolate chips

and the other with dried cherries added.
Check this one out.  Do you see a face?  I do.  I didn't even notice it until I downloaded it to my computer.  He looks happy, don't you think?

Warm cookies straight from the oven...  a little bit of heaven.

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 4 dozen

2 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
11.5 oz. chocolate chips
6 oz. dried cherries

Preheat oven to 375F.
Combine flours, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
Cream butter, sugars and vanilla until smooth.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture.  Stir in chocolate chips and cherries.
Drop by teaspoonful onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake 9 minutes for a softer cookie or up to 11 minutes for a more well-done cookie.

You can add nuts, if you wish.  White chocolate chips can be substituted.  Use the basic recipe and add in whatever you have in the cupboard.

Bon appétit, Arthur Cogswell.  I will miss seeing your smiling face at our parties and talking to you about your adventures in La Belle France.  Rest in peace.