Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Exam week



Okay, if any of my students are reading this before 10:30 am tomorrow morning they should be studying instead.  That's when they will take my exam.  Allez!   Conjuguez vos verbes!  No fun for you... yet.
I, on the other hand, am officially ready to relax.  My exams are done.  Written, edited, proofed, photocopied.  For better or for worse.  We've reviewed.  Conjugated verbs.  Discussed grammar and vocabulary.  I can now think about Christmas cookies and gifts.  I do not like to multi-task.  I discovered that about myself when I was living in Arles and didn't need to multi-task for six whole months.  Some people are proud of being able to do this well.  Pas moi.
But in order to get through the whole process, I needed some of this...
coffee with lots of cream from Foster's and this...
also from Foster's (thanks, AM!).
High school-age son is also taking exams.  He has consumed a lot of this...

and these...

and these...
and eggnog.  (no picture available because he drank it all...)
Goodies have been received from some of my students

in beautiful wrappings.
A colleague gave me a really yummy fruitcake from Southern Supreme in Bear Creek, NC.

It is filled with nuts and honey.
Our tree is decorated.
(Can you see the cat sitting on the gift box?  Silly cat.)
We even decorated a little tree upstairs for high school-age son.
We bought our trees from TROSA.  They are fraser firs from Sparta, NC.
Happy decorating from my house to yours!
Now on to the shopping...

When I was living in France, Chef Érick made gâteau de riz for me for breakfast once in a while.   My guys love rice pudding, basically the same thing.  So, I found this old cookbook and made some with leftover rice.  The smell of warm vanilla is so delicious on a cold evening.

Rice Pudding
(from Favorite Eastern Star Recipes:  Olde Family Favorites, 1972)

I received this cookbook as a wedding gift back in 1982...


1 c. cooked rice
1/2 c. butter, melted
1- 1 1/2 c. milk (I used 3/4 c. heavy cream and the rest 2% milk)
1 c. sugar
3 eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine rice, butter, milk, sugar and egg yolks; mix well.  If mixture is too dry, add more milk.  Add vanilla; mix thoroughly.  Pour pudding mixture into 2-quart casserole.  Bake at 350 degrees until firm, approximately 45 minutes.  Top with meringue made with egg whites.
Yield:  8 servings

Bon appétit, students and teachers everywhere!

No comments: