Thursday, April 28, 2011

Frenchies in the kitchen

I had two Frenchies, not just any Frenchies, though-- Provençal Frenchies-- in my kitchen for an afternoon.  While the 28 exchange students from Collège Le Mourion in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon were spending the weekend with their Durham host families, I had custody of Fanny and Olivier for the day.  We headed over to Ninth Street, bought books at the Regulator, took photos at Vaguely Reminiscent--
(cute frogs... ha ha ha)
and then shopped at Whole Foods.  When I am in France, I love checking out grocery stores, les supermarchés et les épiceries.  We planned to have friends over for an apéro Friday night.  My evil plan to get my new friends in my kitchen to cook worked!!  (Although I have to admit that I did not realize what a great cook Fanny is when I invited her to stay with me for the week.  My bad.  We make a great pair.  When she opens her B&B, I will be her assistant.  Oui, chef!)

Fanny made la mousse au chocolat.  A great use for college-age son's collection of shot glasses, n'est-ce pas?
Fanny also decided to make a pissaladière, a Provençal-type pizza of which I am very, very fond.
And her tapenade was the best I've ever had.  I really like garlic and it was plentiful.  We served it with thinly sliced toasted baguette slices. 
Olivier contributed a mousse au thon, tuna mousse.  Sadly, I have no photos of that.  We couldn't find crème fraîche for it at Whole Foods.  I should have made an emergency call to Mr. Bull City Burger and Brewery, Seth, my favorite chef, but didn't.  Olivier also made a pasta salad.  (The leftovers were all mine.  I did not share them with anyone.)

I had never thought of adding pesto to my salad.  I love pesto on pasta.  I eat that often.  Why can't I think of this stuff on my own?  Doesn't matter now.  I have Frenchies to come to my rescue!
I contributed my tomato tart, Signora brought chocolate-dipped strawberries, we added brie, affinois and boucheron chèvre cheeses, and wines from Wine Authorities.  Picpoul de Pinet, Venus rosé and a Côtes du Rhône red.  I tried Floc de Gascogne for the first time.  It is a bit sweet and went well with the mousse au chocolat.  I usually do not like sweet wines.  But at the urging of Olivier, I tried it.  (And I have the leftovers of this, too!)
We had a wonderful evening.  I miss my Frenchies.  We had so much fun.

I did not say au revoir to them.  I prefer à plus!  Until next time.  See you soon.


Tapenade à la Fanny

2 cans of black olives, pitted
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced (remove the skin and the germ)
Olive oil
5-6 anchovy filets (without the oil)
2 tsp. capers

Put all ingredients in a food processor and mix. Do not over process.  Add enough olive oil to obtain the proper consistency.

Bon appétit, mes nouveaux amis!
 

1 comment:

Auberge chez Richard said...

Looks like you all had a heck of blast! Vive la....cuisine!!