Wednesday, June 11, 2014

An American Bakery in Paris


About 25 years ago, I thought that it would be really cool to open a bakery in Paris.  An American Bakery in Paris.  What's not to love about Paris?  Looking at this every night...


The first time I saw brownies for sale, in a shop at the food court at the Louvre, I realized that it could have been me to introduce them to the Frenchies.  Then I saw blueberry muffin tops.  Cookies became the craze.  Cupcakes have made it big there.  I missed out on it.  Would I still do this?  Oui, I think I would.  Would it be in Paris now though?  Or in Provence?  I can spend hours debating that in my mind.  I love to stroll through La Brune's little village and dream.  What about this house?  Pale pink shutters.  The shop could be on the ground floor and I could live upstairs.


It really is just a dream.  I cannot imagine that I could get a work permit.  Not easy for Americans unless you already work for an American company and they sent you over there, so I hear.  Not mention how on earth I would finance this dream.  But it's fun to think about it, n'est-ce pas?
Here are some of the things I would make...

Cupcakes


Brownies


Scones


Muffins


Coffee cake


More cake



And lots of cookies.





I love cookies.
And Cookie Monster.  I met him in Times Square last June.


And he is on display at the Smithsonian.


It's been baking week since school ended.  The Ex-Ex can't figure out why I go on these baking binges. I can't either, to tell you the truth.  I just love to bake.  I love the way it smells.  I want someone to grab a couple of warm cookies just out of the oven and sign as they bite into them.  I even love to wash the bowls and measuring cups when I am finished.  That part might be a little weird.
Actually, I think that Iron Woman got me started on this baking binge.  While the French ladies were here in April, she made cookies for our first dinner.  Oatmeal Butterscotch.  Then she brought me a bag of the butterscotch chips so that I could make my own.  The Ex-Ex told her that they were the best cookies he had ever eaten.  The French ladies loved them, too.  Therefore, I will give her credit.

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 c. old-fashioned oats
1 2/3 c. butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 375˚F.
In large bowl (I use Mildred the KitchenAid stand mixer), beat butter and sugars together until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well for 30 seconds.  Add vanilla and beat until combined.
Stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.   Gradually add to the butter-sugar mixture, stirring just until combined.  Stir in oats and butterscotch chips.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.  Bake 8-10 minutes in preheated oven, until edges begin to brown.

Toffee Brickle Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. white granulated sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar (I use light brown)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 1/3 c. (8-oz. package) of Heath Toffee Bits

Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Beat butter, sugars, vanilla and salt in large bowl until well blended.  Add eggs and beat well.  In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and cream of tartar.  Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until blended.  Stir in toffee bits.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets.  Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Got milk?
Maybe I could help baseball catch on in France, too.  Me and Cal Ripken, Jr.  You in, Cal?


(Got milk? ad campaign by http://goodbysilverstein.com/)

Bon appétit, fellow bakers, Cookie Monsters and baseball fans!

No comments: