Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Being real

5fdfa01098418f3b3fc2638e1ba2a8c5--vintage-art-vintage-quotes
As Son #1 and Son #2 will tell you, I am a sap when it comes to children’s books. I loved reading to those two little critters.  The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams was my favorite. At the beginning of this school year, one of my colleagues quoted the Rabbit, using the short passage above. It makes me tear up every single time I read it. And the older I get the more I get the message. So, how about listening to the story? Get a tissue and enjoy. Mr. Le Mesurier has a very soothing voice and there is some lovely music interspersed between the chapters.
I need to get a copy of this book for Miss K. I want her to understand nursery magic and the importance of being real. Do Son #1 and Son #2 understand? I hope so. Or if not quite yet, I hope they understand soon. I am not sure when I finally understood. Luckily, though, right now I still have all my hair and eyes– even though some of my joints might be a bit wobbly. We are all a work in progress, aren’t we?
Here in North Carolina it’s been a bit cooler the last couple of days.  Just enough to make me start thinking of fall, my favorite season. Thinking about fall makes me think about pumpkin. Pumpkin muffins#1pumpkin muffins#2pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin stuffed with everything good from Dorie Greenspan, pumpkin spiced coffee and tea. Here’s the latest pumpkin muffin recipe I’ve used… Let’s just call it Pumpkin muffins#3, I guess.  Or, as TGIF (this grandma is fun) calls it–
The Best Pumpkin Muffins {Ever}
makes 12 medium-sized muffins
1¾ cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs, room temperature, if possible
1 (15 oz) can pure pumpkin puree
½ cup vegetable oil or melted butter (TGIF uses coconut oil)
1 tablespoon whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*optional: Turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top of the unbaked muffins, if desired.
Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners or spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices; set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, oil, milk, and vanilla extract. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and fold to combine. The batter will be thick.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle with the Turbinado sugar, if desired.  You can even mix in some extra ground cinnamon with the sugar before sprinkling.
Bake for 22-24 minutes, or until the muffins test done. Let cool for a few minutes then remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm, if possible!
pump muff

Bon appétit!  It’s okay to be real because “once you are real, you can’t be ugly, except to people who don’t understand.” Son #1 if you are reading this, I promise to make you some of these muffins if you come to visit!  Bring the girls! 

No comments: