Monday, April 9, 2018

Early mornings and muffins

cookbook
I am an early riser. Mostly by choice. I love my quiet house. It’s me and the cat- sometimes. Unless she has decided to go back to bed. Right now the heat is on because it’s decided to go down into the 30’s here again. I can hear birds chirping in the trees right outside the window where I am sitting, so I know it is spring. But sometimes I wake up even too early for me. I start worrying about things over which I have no control or can’t change, and sleep is gone. Even the BFF’s trick of counting random numbers doesn’t work. The best thing to do is get up. The Ex-Ex says he gets his best sleep right about the time that I am tossing and turning and I don’t want to wake him up yet. So, here I am. With muffins in the oven. Today it’s Oatmeal Cinnamon Muffins. I have a whole army of muffin recipes, but the one I come back to time after time is found in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. It’s simple, I can change up the ingredients depending upon what’s in the cupboard, and the Ex-Ex likes them. And my kitchen smells heavenly right now. That helps.
muffins
Early Morning Oatmeal Cinnamon Muffins
from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook Special Edition Pink Plaid, 2006
Makes 12
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup sugar (I used half granulated white and half light brown)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil
Streusel Topping (optional)
Combine 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Cut in 2 tablespoons cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped nuts, if desired.
  1. Grease or line a 12-cup muffin pan. Set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the center of flour mixture. Set aside.
  4. In a small bowl, combine beaten egg, milk, and oil. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture all at once and stir just until moistened. Batter should be a bit lumpy.
  5. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin pan. If desired, sprinkle with Streusel Topping. (I sometimes just sprinkle Turbinado sugar on the top. Today they are just plain.)
  6. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until done when tested with a toothpick inserted into the center. Cool in muffin cups for 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm.
Bon appétit and Happy Monday to all of my readers. I wish that I could bake muffins for all of you. In my sleep deprived state I am even thinking “What if I made a different variation of this recipe every morning for a month? Coconut? Carrots? Craisins? Oh boy. Bisous! 

No comments: