Sunday, December 20, 2009

Half of the Arles 6

The Sabbatical Chef, Betty and Yolanda

Here we are!  Half of the Arles 6 gang.  At the Piedmont restaurant in downtown Durham, just right up the street from where our Farmers' Market is held every Saturday.  Yolanda was the photographer, holding my camera out at arm's length to snap the photo.

Betty's melted Brie and fig chutney sandwich



Yolanda's house made pastrami, caramelized onions and gruyère sandwich
(she pronounced this the best pastrami she's ever eaten)



my trout, pickled red onion and caper aïoli sandwich

The sandwiches at the Piedmont come with pommes frites or salad.  I cannot believe I turned down frites, but I also love house made vinaigrette dressing and this one did not disappoint. It's amazing what one can do with olive oil and vinegar.
While we were eating and talking (quite a bit of the latter), it started to snow.  The Piedmont's front is entirely glass so we could see the flakes falling.  It didn't last long and we didn't get much, just a dusting, but it was appropriate on the last day of school before our break.
Betty came bearing gifts for Yolanda and me.  The woman has excellent taste.  I know this firsthand, having observed her shopping in Paris!


She brought handmade chocolates by François for Yolanda and a French flag tree ornament for me. 


What thoughtful cadeaux.  She certainly knows us both very well.
Here's to a hopeful Arles 6 reunion in 2010!

Bon appétit, mes amies!

PS- Yolanda did not share the chocolat...  But that's ok, I doubt I would've either.



No comments: