Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cookies

I decided to drive over to Greensboro to have lunch with college-age son this weekend.  It's been over a month since he went back to school for his senior year and it was time for a visit.  I miss him.  The Ex-Ex couldn't go with me because he was suffering from a cold.  A really miserable one.  When the weather is still in the 90's, no one should catch a cold.  Just not fair.  High school-age son had a ticket to the Duke-Alabama football game so he couldn't go either.  (At least Duke scored.  That was all I hoped for.)
So, I got up and made cookies to take to him and his roommates.  Any excuse to drag Mildred the Mixer out of her hiding place and crank her up.  I love making cookies.  I did leave a few for the Ex-Ex and high school-age son.
We went to lunch and I persuaded the young man to try calamari.  I was impressed that he actually tried it and liked it.  It was rolled in bread crumbs, pan-fried and served with warm tomatoes, olives and grated cheese.  Really good.  I didn't have my camera (it was on the counter from taking cookie photos), but there were several of the little critters with the tentacles still attached.  I think those are so cool-- and they taste good, too!  This is photo is from a restaurant in Boone we went to this summer, but same idea--


Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies
(makes 4 dozen)

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups chocolate chips (or 1 cup peanut chips and 1 cup chocolate chips); I used mini-chips

Heat oven to 350F.
Beat butter, sugar and peanut butter in medium bowl until creamy.  Add egg and vanilla; beat well.  Stir together flour, soda and salt; add to peanut butter mixture, blending well.  Stir in chips.  Drop by rounded teaspoons onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
Bake about 10 minutes for a softer cookie or 12 for a crunchier one.  Cool one minute on baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack.


Bon appétit, Cookie Monsters everywhere!

No comments: