Saturday, October 1, 2011

For the love of Nutella

I have not fallen into a Nutella coma... yet.  I haven't done anything except lick assorted bowls, spoons, beaters, fingers, and spatulas.

I haven't even sampled the finished product.  But these babies have to be good.  The batter was seriously delicious.  The buttermilk gave it a welcome tang, what with all the chocolate and sugar.  Here they are.

Yes, two are indeed missing.  No, I really haven't tasted them yet.  The Ex-Ex and College Boy ate one each pre-icing.
I decided to pipe the icing on even though I am really bad at it.  Then I decided to have a Miss Cupcake Contest.  Bored?  Maybe.  But here are the finalists.

Miss Blue

Miss Purple

Miss Green
Miss Yellow
Miss Orange
Miss Blue isn't very photogenic, is she?
Miss Orange (my new favorite color) is a little too Halloween-y for me just yet.
Miss Yellow is a bit too pointy on top.
Miss Purple (I wanted her to win) is just too flat.
The winner is Miss Green.
I will eat her for dessert.  That's her prize.
And I need to stop now because I am starting to worry me.


This recipe came to me from the BFF who saw it on Jessica's (the Cupcake Queen) Facebook page, who got it from www.goodlifeeats.com.  I just always feel compelled to cite my dealers sources.

Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes with Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting
(makes 3 dozen)

Cupcakes:
2/3 c. Nutella
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. cake flour
1 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3 large eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter, softened
2 1/2 c. buttermilk

Frosting:
6 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 c. Nutella
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 lb. (about 3 3/4 c.) confectioners' sugar

Line 3 dozen muffin cups with cupcake liners.  Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar for 5 minutes, until it is pale and thick.  Add in the butter.  Mix until combined.  Add in the Nutella and mix, then the buttermilk.  Beat until well incorporated.
Add the flour mixture in 3 increments and beat until smooth.  Divide batter into the cupcake tins.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Do not overbake.  Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.

Frosting:
Cream the butter and cream cheese in the large mixing bowl of a stand mixer.  Add the Nutella and vanilla and continue to cream.  Slowly incorporate the powdered sugar as you continue to cream.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Beat on high speed until fluffy and smooth, adding milk or additional sugar, if needed.

Bon appétit, Nutella!

1 comment:

MPK said...

You're beginning to worry me too! At least you will be a "crazy" woman who can cook! Love ya bunches.