Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cookies, cookies, cookies

I've been busy with Mildred the Mixer, creaming butter and sugar, adding eggs, and baking to my little heart's delight.  It just wouldn't be the Christmas season without cookies.  These Molasses Crinkles are my favorite.  I make them every year.
My counter currently is filled with various bowls and platters.  The Molasses Crinkles are sitting next to the Carmelitas (not technically a cookie, but a bar). 

There are Mini-Cheesecakes in the refrigerator. 
And just out of the oven-- the newest recipe in my cookie repertoire, Brickle Drop Cookies.
While strolling the baking aisle of the grocery store a couple of weeks ago, I spotted a bag Heath English Toffee Bits made by Hershey.  The BFF loves Heath Bar cookies from Saladelia, a restaurant here in town, so I decided to give the cookies a try.  The recipe is on the bag.  Et voilà
I will make some deliveries tomorrow, sharing my baked goods with friends.
Happy Holiday Baking!

Brickle Drop Cookies
makes 6 dozen

1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. packed light brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 1/3 c. (8 oz.) Heath Bits O'Brickle Toffee Bits

1.  Heat oven to 350˚F.   Lightly grease cookie sheets (or line with parchment paper).
2.  Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in large bowl until blended.  Add eggs; beat well.  Stir together flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended.  Stir in toffee bits.
3.  Drop by teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheet.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool slightly; remove to wire rack.  Cool completely (Sabbatical Chef note:  But taste a warm one just out of the oven just for the pure joy of it!).

I also stirred up some Spiced Tea after seeing the recipe on Plain Chicken.  I knew that I was saving my Bonne Maman jam jars, pots de confiture, for a reason this year!

Spiced Tea Mix

2 1/2 c. Tang (orange drink mix)
1 1/2 c. Country Time Lemonade mix
1 1/2 c. instant unsweetened tea mix
1/2 c. sugar
3 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Mix all together. 
To serve:  2 tablespoons of tea mix per cup of boiling water.

Hmmm... a nice cup of hot citrus-y spiced tea and a couple of warm cookies.  And the January Our State magazine that came in the mail today.  The cover is a stunning photo of one of our beautiful North Carolina beaches and inside waits an article on the seven prettiest places in my state.

Bon appétit, Christmas bakers everywhere!

No comments: