Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Rooster Week

A friend showed this to me today and man, do I know how that rooster feels.  (My apologies to the photographer-- I would give you credit if I knew who you were).  Now, I certainly hope I look better than he does.  I haven't  lost my hair and goodness knows I haven't lost any weight.  But ever have days when you feel pulled in 16 different directions?  I've felt like that since returning from France.  I haven't even kept up with my blog stats and I can be a bit obsessive about that, trust me.  Here is a list of the things I have going...
  • 7th grade class trip to DC in less that two weeks
  • 8th grade trip to France in less than a month
  • Arrival of the 28 French students and teachers in less than 2 months
  • National French Exam orders (I am the NC test coordinator)
  • Summer trip to France for six- Travels with my BFF, we are calling it- 3 days in Paris, 7 in Provence
  • The usual daily teaching and advising duties that keep me here from 7:30 am- 5:00 pm
Now, don't get me wrong.  I love my job.  Today is dress like a teacher day and several girls are here in black dresses, black tights, and scarves. 

I have fun with my students and pray that some French is sinking into their still-developing brains.  I love all the things I am involved in.  I wish that I had more time to do me-stuff-- go for a daily walk, write on this blog or work on my imaginary novel, finish Kristin's new book, Blossoming in Provence, cook up something delicious (in my kitchen at this very minute, I have all the ingredients for Teresa Lust's Polenta Stew recipe waiting for me to put them to good use), and so on and so on. 
Now I am just making myself tired so I will stop!
By the way, did you know that the rooster is the symbol of France?  Ah oui, c'est vrai.  Latin for rooster: gallus, Latin for inhabitant of Gaul, the former name of France:  Gallus; throw in Middle Ages, Christian symbol, the Renaissance, Charlemagne, mascot, Le Coq Sportif, and Cocorico.
This is Footix, mascot of the 1998 World Cup which was held in Paris and won by the Roosters French.
Ok, ça suffit pour aujourd'hui!  History lesson over.  Two more classes and study hall to go before I get home to that stew recipe.

Bon appétit. les Gaulois!

No comments: