Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cupcakes

The school year will be over in just a few days.  I have 12 seventh grade advisees and we had our little end-of-year celebration today.  I made cupcakes.  You just can't go wrong with them.  Kids love them.  Cupcakes have become very chic.  A friend served them at her daughter's wedding reception.  They were beautiful.
I added green sprinkles to these since our school colors are green and white.
I tried a new recipe.  I wasn't sure how they would taste considering they fell after coming out of the oven.  But what the heck, I decided.  Fill up the hole in the middle with the cream cheese frosting.  They were all consumed at lunch today.  Definitely a good sign.  When I asked for feedback, one of the girlies said they tasted like sugar cookie cupcakes.  That works for me!

Oops!!!  Mon dieu.  After rereading the recipe and typing this, I realize that I put baking soda in the batter instead of baking powder.  Guess that's why I had the hole.  Making cupcakes past my bedtime might not be a good idea...

Vanilla Cupcakes
(makes 12)

1 1/2 sticks (12 Tbsp) softened butter
1 c. sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. warm water
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Adjust over rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 400F.  Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Starting and ending with an egg, alternate adding eggs and flour, beating until each is thoroughly incorporated.  Beat in water and vanilla until just incorporated.
Spoon batter into liners.  Bake until fully cooked and golden, 15-17 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Allow them to cool for a few minutes and then place on wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
(enough for 12 cupcakes)

4 Tbsp. softened butter
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3/4-1 c. confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. vanilla (or other flavoring)

Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and fluffy.  Beat in 3/4 c. confectioners' sugar; add more (up to 1 cup), if desired.  Add vanilla or flavoring of choice.

Bon appétit, 2009-2010 school year!

No comments: