Monday, December 24, 2012

2012 In Statues


If you can see the inscription on the critter's tablet, it has the Alpha and Omega symbols, the beginning and the end.  I am not going all religious here, but it is almost the end of another year.  As I was looking through photos from the July BFF trip to France, I noticed that I had taken quite a few photos of statues and carvings.  Then, of course, I had to go back to the January and March trips to see if I'd done the same thing.  Oui, it seemed to be theme for me this year.  So, if you enjoy sculpture of various kinds, sit back and scroll through 2012 with me.  I won't provide much in the way of details, just a where, if I can remember!

The January trip with ACIS--
The Grand Palais

Near Le Bon Marché


Inside the Panthéon




A replica of Venus de Milo's foot in a café where I had lunch (and was treated to a limoncello by a charming older gentleman)


Louis XIII at the Place des Vosges


In Pujaut, the village where Mme P lives, in the south of France


In Villeneuve-lez-Avignon

In Washington, DC, during our annual 7th grade class trip-
Some of my favorite men memorialized there-

President Abraham Lincoln


General and President Dwight D. Eisenhower


President Franklin D. Roosevelt's hands


and Fala, his dog


A man during the Depression at the FDR memorial


Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.



At the Vietnam Memorial



The March trip with my students--
In a passage way in Paris as we were walking around one night after dinner


At the basilica of Saint Denis


Saint Denis himself, at Notre Dame


Atop the Pont Alexandre III bridge


A WWI soldier inside the Arc de Triomphe


A foot inside the Arc from one of the original statues, I'm guessing, from the date


A bust of singer Dalida in Montmartre where she lived (can you guess what visitors rub for good luck?)


One of Degas' ballet dancers at the Musée d'Orsay


I am a Leo-- I love lions.


At the American Cemetery in Normandy


In Notre Dame


Atop the Opéra Garnier


Iconic Paris water fountain



In Avignon, outside the Palais des Papes


Inside the Palais-- a nice little final resting place, n'est-ce pas?


A WWI soldier, a Poilu (hairy one- because they didn't shave?), in Tavel


Water spout/gargoyle at the Palais des Papes


In Tavel, at the Vignerons de Tavel cave



Also in Tavel (I think...)


I "borrowed" a photo from Mme P taken during her trip to DC before coming to Durham for our exchange.

Degas' ballet dancer at the National Gallery of Art


Our visit to Duke University


I cannot remember where we took this one...


Gandhi, in Raleigh


Back to France in July with the BFFs

Sacré Coeur


Atop the July Column where the Bastille prison stood


At Dalida's grave in the Montmartre cemetery


Joan of Arc in Notre Dame


Winged Victory at the Louvre


Inside the Abbaye de Frigolet


In the village of Aubignas


Also in Aubignas, at the church cemetery


An oratoire in Villeneuve-lez-Avignon


Joan of Arc at Mont Saint Michel

At Mont Saint Michel




Saint Thérèse in Notre Dame (I couldn't leave her out!)


One of the bulls on parade around town in Durham (we are the Bull City)


Our family outing for putt-putt near Sunset Beach, NC  (the guys play, I watch, take photos, and referee, if necessary)



Farmers' Market art in Knoxville, TN


It's been a very full year of art and travel!  I am a lucky girl.

Bon appétit, 2012!


No comments: