Monday, December 17, 2012

You can't have too many...


How would you finish that statement?
Here's my list.  At least the ones I can think of at this moment.
You can't have too many ...

  • really good friends.
  • stamps in your passport.
  • good books to read.
  • favorite songs.
  • people in your life who make you laugh out loud.
  • cookie recipes.
  • pretty scarves.
  • shades of pink lipstick.
  • people who love you.
  • pens that write really well.
  • little black dresses.
  • ways to cook chicken breasts.
  • lavender sachets.
  • photos of people and places you love.
  • funny jokes in your repertoire.
  • wonderful childhood memories.
  • homemade mac and cheese recipes.
  • people you look up to.
  • French words in your head.
  • movies that you watch over and over.
  • Eiffel Towers.
As for the last one, I added two more to my collection today.  Both gifts.  (I must have been really good this year!)  The beautiful ornament pictured above from one of my sweet girlies and my own personal 6 feet tall sparkling one.


It came from Lowe's (and that's the last name of the friend who gave it to me-- I just got that!) and I assembled it my very own self.  No tools required.  (Although I was sorely tempted to bend one of the pieces with pliers until it fit properly...)

Son #2 is home so I am baking up more macaroni and cheese than usual.  Here's my latest version from Pioneer Woman.

Macaroni and Cheese
from Ree Drummond

4 c. dried macaroni, cooked and drained
1 whole egg
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 1/2 c. whole milk
2 heaping teaspoons dry mustard, more if desired
1 pound sharp Cheddar (not pre-grated), plus more for baking
Salt
Seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
Optional spices:  cayenne pepper, paprika, thyme

Preheat oven to 350˚F.

In a small bowl, beat the egg.  In a large pot, melt the butter and sprinkle in the flour.  Whisk together over medium-low heat, whisking constantly.  Don't let it burn.  Pour in the milk; add the mustard and whisk until smooth.  Cook until very thick, about 5 minutes.  Reduce the heat to low.

Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into the beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking the egg.  Whisk together until smooth.  Pour the egg into the sauce, whisking constantly.  Stir until smooth.  Add in the cheese and stir to melt.  Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt and the pepper.  Add any additional spices if desired.  Taste the sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed.  DO NOT UNDERSALT.

Pour in the drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.  Serve immediately (while it's still very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese and bake until bubbly and golden on top, 20-25 minutes.

Bon appétit to all of my favorite people and things!

No comments: