Tuesday, December 3, 2013

J'ai faim, j'ai très faim

What I didn't have for lunch today...  Signora's salad.



And when I skip lunch (I had a meeting on the upper school campus), food is all I can think about.


I have already texted the Ex-Ex twice (or three times?) about when he will be home and what he wants to do for dinner.  This means I don't want to cook so do you have a suggestion in my language?  I kept busy during after school study hall, but dinner was definitely on the forefront of my mind, no back burners when my tummy is grumbling.

Some suggestions from my 2013 year of eating meals not prepared by me...

Foie gras for lunch with My Favorite Parisien



Lamb with risotto


Onion soup in Montmartre


Steak-frites at the Café du Commerce in Paris


Oysters in Montmartre


Dinner at Fauchon in Paris


Sandwich au jambon on the TGV en route to Avignon


Brandade at Mme P's


Mlle de Tavel's foie gras and potato gratin combined on a fresh baguette




Frenchie's tomato mozzarella pesto salad



Mme P's special pasta sauce


Iron Woman's cashew chicken


Mussels at City Beverage


Quesadillas in NYC


Chef SG's rillettes


BCBB burger before a ride on Stanley the Biker Bar


Pompieri Pizza practice


Okay, I believe that I have tortured myself enough.  Time to pack up the laptop, turn on the headlights and head home for the day.

The salad in the first picture was inspired by the blog, Salad in a Jar or a similar post on Pinterest.  Signora makes everything sound incredibly easy and it was very good.  She brought "real" plates and napkins-- no paper ones.  (At our school, we do not have a cafeteria.  We eat lunch in our classrooms with our 12 advisees every day.)

Signora's Salad

Assemble the ingredients that you like in your salad.  Romaine lettuce and dressing are the two must haves.  And a wide-mouthed mason jar with a lid.  The dressing and any "wet" ingredients go in the bottom.  Think couscous, rice, tuna, roasted chicken.  Then maybe some chickpeas (pois chiches in French-- a fun word to say- pwa sheesh), vegetables, cheese.  Then the cut up or torn pieces of lettuce to the top of the jar.  Put in the refrigerator until ready to eat.  Salad in a Jar lady vacuum packs the jars and swears they last in the refrigerator for 7-9 days without the lettuce turning brown.

J'ai faim, j'ai très faim...

Bon appétit, tous les gourmands!

No comments: