Monday, December 2, 2013

My little menagerie


Mme P gave these little figurines to me last January.  They are found in the king's cakes that are popular in France in January.  I love them.  These have taken up permanent residence in my kitchen windowsill and I admire them often.  They are known as fèves or trinkets or just plain figurines.
Here are the rest of them, waiting patiently for their turn to be on display.  I will use them to make a Christmas crèche or manger scene on my mantle.


This is from Frenchie's crèche scene last year.  His family left it up so that I could see it.  They go out and gather moss and sticks for it every year.  The scenes are often very elaborate, with lots of figurines in them.


I just discovered a website dedicated to collectors of these beautiful trinkets.  It is La Fabophilie.  I hope to find more while I am in France in January and maybe even stumble upon someone selling their collection at a market in Paris.  Wouldn't that be cool?  I found a website with great information about la galette des rois.  It is called French Food in the U.S.
And oh, yeah, I am looking forward to enjoying a slice or two of the cake while hunting for the fève.  There are two varieties-- one made with puff pastry and almonds...


and another made with a brioche-type pastry and candied fruit.  This variety is very popular in the south of France.


It's a good thing that I do not have to choose which one to taste since my friends have treated me to both in the past.
J'attends mon voyage de janvier avec impatience...  Isn't it lovely to have something to look forward to?  Anticipation is sweet, as sweet as the cake I can't wait to eat with my friends in France.

Bon appétit to my little menagerie and to Fabophiles everywhere!

No comments: