Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chocolate Caramel Sea Salt Crack



I got up in this morning with an amazing amount of resolve.  Today will be the day.  I will give up sugar and gluten.  I will feast on oatmeal cooked with cinnamon and raisins, a salad for lunch, lots of good, cold water to wash it all down.  And then I got to school.  I went to the faculty room to check my mailbox and staring me in the face was what amounts to crack in my world of zero will power.  Never mind the kilo (or five) that I have promised myself I will lose before summer and swimsuit time rolls around.  And before I have my annual physical when I will be forced to get on a scale in front of a total stranger.  (Saying you have a few kilos to lose sounds easier to me than pounds... 1kg = 2.2lbs.  Call me crazy.)

Recipe passed on to me by Son #2's favorite teacher's wife.  She has been filling in in our office and this is her last week.  We'll miss you, PS!

Chocolate Caramel Sea Salt Crack Bark

Small pretzels or pretzel snaps
2 sticks butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
Sea salt

Line a large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with aluminum foil.  Spread pretzels in a single layer to cover foil.  Melt butter in a small saucepan.  Add brown sugar and stir, stir, stir.  Allow to boil a little bit and continue stirring it until it gets darker brown.  You want to cook it almost to the point where you think you might have ruined it... that's when the sticky caramelly magic happens!  Pour over pretzels and bake in 350˚F oven for just 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and spread chocolate chips over hot caramel.  As they melt, spread them over the entire pan with a rubber spatula.  Sprinkle liberally with sea salt and let cool on the counter.  Put in freezer for one hour.  Remove and break into bite-sized pieces.  Yum!

Bon appétit to my fellow addicts!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Sounds delicious.

Hows the no sugar and gluten diet going? I wouldn't have the will power