Thursday, April 4, 2013

Random Thoughts for a Rainy Thursday


My daddy and me.  He was born April 4, 1936.  He would have been 77 years old today.  Wow.  I do not remember this picture being taken, of course, but it is the way I like to remember him.
I wish he could've lived to see his two handsome grandsons.  Son #2 was only about 2 or 3 years old when Daddy died.


Well, Daddy, revenge is sweet.  Son #2 is a registered Republican.  Now I can cancel out his votes instead of yours.
He loved marching bands.  He and my mom came to Appalachian for a few football games my senior year, but I think it was mostly to see (and hear) the halftime show.  He would've loved a Tennessee game!


He loved biscuits.  He called them "cat heads" for some strange reason.  I need to ask my mom about that.


Daddy also loved meat.  Nothing like a good steak or roast.



Sometimes your relationships with your parents are very complicated.  Ours was.  I know he loved me and he was proud of me, though.
I miss you, Daddy.  Happy birthday.

This was Daddy's favorite cake.

Candy Orange Slice Cake
from allrecipes.com
serves 12

1 c. butter, softened
2 c. white sugar
4 eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 pound dates, pitted and chopped
1 pound orange slices candy, chopped
2 c. chopped pecans
1 1/3 c. shredded coconut
1 c. orange juice
2 c. confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 250˚F.  Lightly grease and flour one 10-inch tube pan.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and granulated sugar until smooth.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk and add to the creamed mixture.
Place flour in a large bowl and add dates, orange slices, and nuts.  Stir to coat each piece.  Add flour mixture and coconut to creamed mixture.   This make a very stiff dough, so  it will be necessary to stir with a wooden spoon.
Pour batter into the tube pan.  Bake for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.  As soon as cake comes out of the oven, combine the orange juice and confectioner's sugar and pour over hot cake.  Let stand in pan overnight.

(I think it is safe to say that Daddy did not let the cake get cold before having a slice...)

Bon appétit to daddys and daughters!





1 comment:

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Such a nice post. I love that your Dad called biscuits "cat heads"!!