Friday, November 29, 2013

Overwhelming grief and unspeakable love

I generally keep this blog light and fluffy.  On purpose.  But sometimes life intervenes and brings us to our knees.  Recently, very dear friends lost one of their sons.  I know my darling friend reads this blog and I know that she will see this.  I do not want to make her sad, but I want her to know that I think of her and her husband every hour of every day.  Our children bring us so much joy.  And humility. And unconditional love.  And joy.  And sometimes, unfortunately, grief that knows no bounds and grips our hearts and seemingly won't let go.
A friend (and as it turns out, my recently discovered second cousin) quoted Washington Irving on a Facebook post this week.  This touched me in a way that most writing does not.  I want to remember it forever because as long as there is life, there will be loss.  

There is a sacredness in tears.  They are not a mark of weakness, but of power.  They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues.  They are messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition and of unspeakable love.

I "borrowed" your photos, my dears.  I hope you won't mind.  I love you.  I am here to cry with you and to dry your tears.





No comments: