Sunday, November 13, 2016

Give thanks

gratitude-tree
(This post was originally published on thesabbaticalchef.com on November 8, 2016.)

Practice gratitude.  Easily said.  Not so easily done sometimes.  But I try to do this every day.  By nature, I am not a negative person.  EB recently gave me this little gratitude tree. She and Son #1 have one in their apartment. Last time I was there, I noticed that theirs has more leaves on it than mine and that makes me very happy.  Now that I look at mine, so far I have the letter F covered!  When I begin to feel worried or upset, I take deep breaths and try to focus on the good.  This morning’s grateful list in no particular order.
  • My health.  A little neck pain requiring some treatment but nothing debilitating or too serious.  Getting older isn’t for sissies.
  • Two amazing sons finding their way into adulthood and their own happiness.
  • The Ex-Ex. We recently celebrated the anniversary of our first official date. We went to the 30th birthday party of a colleague (who has become a very dear friend and is still a colleague) in 1981.  2016-1981= 35.  Wow.
  • Mama Mildred.  Still my hero.
  • Sister Moo.  More.
  • Technology.  I have the world at the touch of a button or the click of a key.  Amazing.
  • A well-stocked pantry and refrigerator.
  • Leftovers.  Specifically chili and potato soup at the moment.
  • Fall.  It is going to be the perfect day today.  Sunny with a high of 65˚F.  We have had the bluest skies lately.  I actually had to find my ice scraper this morning to get the frost off my windshield for the first time.
  • My friends.  We laugh.  We cry.  We celebrate.  We mourn.
  • My home.  Warm. Dry. Comfortable. Casual.
  • Books.  My escape.
  • My students.  They inspire me, make me laugh, make me want to pull my hair out, keep me young.
  • My comfortable, warm clothes.  All my black dresses.  My black tights.  My Dansko clogs.  My boots.  A great pair of jeans I found at a consignment shop– on sale.  The cashmere sweater I found on get-rid-of-it sale and I had a coupon.
  • Durham.  The town I live in.  Keep it dirty, Durham.  I love you just the way the are.  Great restaurants.  The American Tobacco Trail.  Duke.  The Durham Bulls. DPAC.  Duke Gardens.
  • The student who inspired me (and, more importantly, helped me) to set up this blog. The people who read my blog.  Thank you very much.  Merci beaucoup.
banana-oatmeal-muffins
Oatmeal Banana Muffins
Makes 12
Inspired by Allrecipes
1-1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup Old-Fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup mashed bananas (2 med-sized bananas)
Pre-heat oven to 400˚F.  Line muffin tin with paper cups or coat with cooking spray.
Whisk together flour, oatmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the egg slightly with a fork.  Stir in milk, oil, and vanilla.  Add the bananas and mix thoroughly.
Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture just until combined.  Batter will be a bit lumpy.
Divide the batter evenly among the cups.  If desired, sprinkle turbinado sugar mixed with cinnamon over the tops.
Bake 15-18 minutes or until muffins test done.
Bon appétit and practice gratitude and kindness.  It has been an ugly presidential campaign and I am glad it’s over as of today.

No comments: