Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lemon scones


I am not British.  I have never participated in afternoon tea with a real Brit.  I would love to.  Please invite me to tea.  I'd even wear a hat, if you wanted me to, although I am not a hat person.  I would do that just for you.  I think that scones play a part in that ritual.  Oui?  I just love them.  I will eat them any time of the day (or night).  I have had some that are too dry.  Heck, I am sure that some I've turned out of my own kitchen are too dry.  But a nice warm, soft scone, right out of the oven with a cup of coffee or hot tea?  Oh là là.  That would be another item for sale in my (imaginary) American Bakery in Paris (or Provence or wherever).
Here's the latest recipe.

Lemon Scones
Traditions Inn, Columbus, Nebraska
Pat and Scott Mueller, owners


2 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash of cinnamon
1 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger OR 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/3 c. butter
3/4 c. buttermilk
Zest of one lemon
1/3 c. lemon curd
Demerara cane sugar (natural brown cane sugar)

In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/4 c. sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger, if using dry.  Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until it is the size of small peas.  Set aside.  In a separate bowl, stir together buttermilk, ginger (if using fresh) and lemon zest.  Add to flour mixture.  Stir until just moistened and dough forms a ball.
Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and sprinkle a little sugar over the flour.  Knead dough by gently turning and pressing with the palm of your hand 10-12 times.  Divide dough in half.  Pat or gently roll each piece into an 8-inch circle.  Place one circle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Spread with lemon curd, keeping curd about three-fourths of an inch away from the edge of the dough.  Top with second circle of dough.  Pinch edges to seal.  Sprinkle top with demerara sugar.  Bake at 375˚F for 25-30 minutes.  Cut into wedges and serve warm with jam, fresh berries, Devonshire cream or honey butter.

Have a cup of tea ready!  I take mine with a little honey and milk.

Bon appétit, les citrons!

No comments: