Wednesday, September 7, 2011

La Féria d'Arles 2011

If I got on a plane right now, I could make it.  I could fly into Marseille, to Marignan airport, hop on the bus to the train station, hop on the train to Arles, and voilà!  I would be there in time for the fun and festivities surrounding the Féria du Riz this weekend.  I could hang out at Place Voltaire, sip rosé or sangria.  Have un bon steak-frites.  Or paëlla perhaps?

Listen to the music.  Check out the handsome cowboys.  (He has a nice smile, doesn't he?)
Oui, it is called the Rice Festival.  Pourquoi? you ask.  Because they grow wonderful rice in the Camargue.  I bring some home with me every year.  I prefer the rouge or red variety, but that never lasts long at my house.  I am always using it for my tuna-rice-chickpea (pois chiche in French- I love that word!) salads.  It is also good with chili.  This past March, I packed my bags (sacrificing a pair of jeans and a sweater) with little bags given to me by my friend at Café Voltaire.  (I think maybe he meant for me to share them with my students... but chut!  I didn't.  I kept them for my greedy gourmande little self.)
I've never been to a bullfight and am not sure I would go to that.  But I would certainly be there for all the rest of the fun...
If only...
Couldn't that be considered professional development?  Seriously.  I would, after all, being doing it all en français.  I could take a few turns around town just to make sure everything is still in its proper place before I take the new group of 8th graders there in March.  Make sure nothing has moved and that there are still lots of good restaurants and cafés.  Check on Gilles at his antique librairie, Marie-Christine at her café, Didier at his new brocanterie, Chef Érick in his cuisine/laboratoire, the charming couple who run Café Voltaire...
Guess not.  But it's fun to dream about it anyway.
Think I'll go bake something.

Bon appétit, Arles!

1 comment:

Parisbreakfasts said...

What if...
I'm coming too!!