Sunday, September 4, 2011

We Are Durham

I don't know who designed this for the Durham Herald Sun newpaper, but I really like it!  I cut it out of this morning's newspaper.  I am partial to this newspaper, of course, since I am one of the monthly columnists, but also because it is our newspaper.
This week's Saturday Durham Farmer's Market featured Zach Faulisi from Bull City Burger and Brewery as Chef in the Market.
This is Zach of the amazing birthday meal for the BFF, maker of the exquisite black squid ink tagliatelle with English peas.  Quite possibly the best thing I have ever eaten.
He was at the market with his pickled watermelon rind and pickled butternut squash.  Very good.  He also had a pot of his watermelon flesh and bacon relish.  Another really great concoction.  Lots of bacon, just the right amount of bite to it.  I hear he worked on it for quite sometime down at BCBB.  Oh yes, I would eat it on a burger.
Brewmaster Luke Studer was also on hand, pouring samples of two of his beers from growlers.  Kudos to Luke and BCBB for making the now serving column in the August 3 Independent Weekly, a newspaper magazine about Triangle happenings.
We ran into lots of friends.  A teacher/colleague/friend standing on the street corner holding onto a brownie given to him by one of his vendor-friends.  Two former students named Katie and their fiancés.  Two members of the Arles 6, with a mom in tow.
I was so happy to see his smiling face!  It's been way too long since we last hugged and he called me Melanie.
We didn't buy a thing.  We just roamed around, looking at the goodies and talking to friends.  It was a beautiful morning.  The weather was great, too!

Bon appétit, Durham!

No comments: