Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The tastes of summer

So, today's riddle... What do you get when you cross fresh from the garden tomatoes, Duke's mayonnaise, and white (or light) bread?
The answer... my 10:00 am snack.
There are few things better than a "mater sammich" in the summer.  I only ate one.  It was, after all, break, not lunch.
We grilled steaks last night on the deck at Son #2's request.
Mine had this mysterious marking... not the Virgin Mary or Jesus, but cute nonetheless.
The Ex-Ex's grilling station, complete with a chilled glass of Italian Vermentino.

I made a strawberry salad to go with the steaks.  Spring mix lettuce, baby spinach, strawberries, goat cheese, and almonds dressed with sweet and sour poppyseed.
Today, on my desk, I found some supplies left by my "dealers"--
Yellow squash
and blueberries.

A couple of days ago, cherry tomatoes appeared.  I've eaten most of them...

Last week, I found a bag full of green beans, but I didn't photograph them before eating them.
And here's the best summer advice I've seen in a while-- this from a bag holding the second two books in the Hunger Games series (from Flyleaf Books in Chapel Hill)-- gifts for Mme P when I see her July 7 in Villeneuve-lez-Avignon.
I shall now take that advice, along with my cup of blueberries, and get comfy.  Flyleaf has used books, too,  and I picked up one by Ruth Reichl, Tender at the Bone:  Growing Up at the Table.  Perfect for a hot, summer afternoon.


Bon appétit, snackers, nappers, and readers! 

No comments: