Monday, April 9, 2012

Joyeuses Pâques 2012!

Easter eggs were dyed.
I love doing this.  Even though the sons don't really care anymore, I do it anyway.  For moi mostly.
The vinegar is kind of stinky, but the end product is worth it.

But no egg hunts anymore.  My mother-in-law used to come up with some fabulous ones when the boys were little.  We reminisced about them.  Does that count?  I think so.

Way too many M&M's were consumed by moi.  (I sent a big bag home with Son #1.)  The ones above are dark chocolate and coconut and white chocolate all mixed up.
This bowl is dark chocolate and raspberry and dark chocolate and mint.  Son #1 jumbled them up.  They are the newest flavors to be found in Durham.
Pounds and pounds of M&M's were dragged back to France by my two French girls, MLQ and La Princesse, pictured below with PA outside the governor's mansion in Raleigh.
Yes, they have M&M's in France.  I always bring home a big bag of peanut ones for the Ex-Ex.  And yes, he makes fun of that, but he eats them anyway.  I SWEAR they taste better.  I need to do some serious research on this subject.  I firmly believe that European chocolate standards are higher than ours, therefore even M&M's made in Europe are subjected to these standards and taste better.  (Although I have to admit that everything I eat or drink in France tastes better...)
Anyway back to the girls and their M&M's.  The can only find plain and peanut ones in France.  So while at Target, they purchased every flavor they could get their hands on... dark chocolate, pretzel, peanut butter, the flavors mentioned above, almond, and even some in the traditional milk chocolate flavor but speckled for Easter.  MLQ spelled out M&M's with the coconut ones (and then thoughtfully left them on my table for me to consume), but silly me, I didn't take a photo.
I think that I will be making cookies for my advisees with them so that I do not eat them all...  I don't think they will mind and I might stand a chance a taking off a few pounds before summer.
I miss my French girls...  More about their visit next!
Stay tuned.

M&M Cookies
5 dozen (depending on size)

1 16-oz. package M&M's, any flavor
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350˚F.  Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Blend in eggs and vanilla.
Combine flour, soda, and salt and add to butter mixture.  Beat well.  Stir in M&M's.
Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto cookie sheets.  Bake for 9-11 minutes, depending on how well done you like your cookies.
Remove from oven, cool on wire rack.


Bon appétit, Easter and M&M's! 

No comments: