Sunday, April 15, 2012

New look?

Just testing out the new Blogger look.  Hope it will be user friendly.  I tend to be a creature of habit and a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but it is hard to have that philosophy when technology is involved.  New stuff is always on the horizon.  So, here's my first post using the new look.  Of course, maybe it doesn't look different once it's published.  We'll see.  Or maybe that's the next change.

Oh!  I made some lovely scones this morning.  I love to make them.  I don't know why.  I just do.  Especially on Sunday mornings.  This time, I used Nigella Lawson's recipe called Lily's Scones.  I didn't have any cream of tartar, though.  I tore my cabinets apart searching for the little container I was sure I had.  No luck.  So Google to the rescue.  Subsitutes for cream of tartar.  Seems there isn't really a substitute.  Just leave out the baking soda and use baking powder.  When I was in France in March, MLQ aka Mme P asked me the difference between baking soda and baking powder when we were looking at my recipe for Nutella cupcakes.  First we had to figure out the French words and then that answered her question.  She had both on hand.  I did google it on my iPad, though, to get some info.  I guess I am just not very curious about the whys of things.  If I am told that whatever the product is works and then it does when I use it, I am good.  I also did not use vegetable shortening.  I do not keep that stuff in my house anymore.  I used the equivalent amount of butter.

Back to the scones.  First the dough--
Next, in the oven--

Ten minutes later, out of the oven, ready to be eaten by the Ex-Ex as he reads the paper--
Lily's Scones
makes 12

3 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
4 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 c. cold unsalted butter, diced
2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening, in teaspooned lumps
1 1/3 c. milk
1 large egg, beaten, for egg wash
*I used 5 teaspoons baking powder instead of the cream of tartar and baking soda
*I used 6 Tbsp. of butter and no shortening
*I also added 2 teaspoons sugar

Variation:  Add 3 ounces of raisins or golden raisins for fruit scones, or the same of amount of dried sour cherries, with or without the finely grated zest of 1/2 orange.  To make cheese scones, add 3 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese, grated.  (As you can see, I used dried cherries.)

Preheat oven to 425˚F.

Sift the flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar into a large bowl.  Rub in the fats till the mixture goes like damp sand.  Add the milk all at once, mix briefly- briefly being the operative word-- and then turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly to form a dough.

Roll out to about 1- 1/ 1/4 inch thickness.  Dip the cutter or knife into some flour, then stamp or cut out 12 scones.  Place on baking sheet close together- the idea is that they bulge and stick together on cooking-- then brush the tops with the egg wash.  Put in the oven and cook for 10 minutes or until risen and golden.

Always eat freshly baked, preferably still warm from the oven.

(The Ex-Ex doesn't seem to mind eating them a day or two after they are baked!)

Bon appétit, Blogger!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.