Sunday, April 22, 2012

Rainy Sunday

It's been a rainy day, I've had hours and hours of school work to do, and now I need a cup of tea and a muffin.  (I got bored with averaging grades at one point in the late afternoon and decided to make muffins.  I needed to use up milk and eggs in our now dead refrigerator.  Maybe it just has the flu.  I'll find out tomorrow when the repairman shows up.)
I decided to play with taking photos.  I have four different cameras at the moment.  I decided to take a photo of the muffin mixture with each of them.  I guess I was just curious about the whole new iPad quality of photo thing.  And, remember, I said I was bored.  Here's what I came up with--  all taken in my kitchen with daylight conditions, no flash used.
Canon Power Shot SX130IS-- my little favorite point and shoot
Canon EOS Rebel-- a loaner from the school
Panasonic Lumix 8x-- the point and shoot I used before getting the Power Shot
iPad 3

The iPad can be a little difficult to figure out how to hold when taking a photo. But I really like the quality.  When you set it to camera and look at the image you are getting ready to shoot, it is incredibly clear.  And much larger, of course, since you are seeing it through the full size screen, not looking through a viewfinder or a little screen on the back of a camera.
I am having fun playing with it anyway.  Still have to find some classroom uses for it, too.  That's my summer homework.  For now I can play!

Back to my tea and muffins...

Cinnamon Buttermilk Muffins

Makes 12

1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. granulated sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 c. dried fruit-- raisins, craisins, cherries, blueberries, etc.
1 egg
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. granulated sugar, for dusting
1 tsp. ground cinnamon, for dusting

Preheat oven to 400˚F.  Lightly grease a standard muffin pan or line with paper cups.

Whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl.  Add fruit.

Whisk together egg, buttermilk, and oil and fold into dry ingredients.  Stir just until combined.

Spoon mixture into prepared pan.  Dust well with combined sugar and cinnamon.

Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown and muffin tests done.

Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Bon appétit, Dimanche!

No comments: